Tuesday, February 15, 2011

photo inspiration quilt

Soooooo,
I finished lesson #3 in the art quilt workbook.
I have the authors names in the previous blog -so I'm referring to that one if anyone needs it for reference.
We were to use a photo for inspiration.
The book had used a photo of a boy,
and for some reason I thought I had to use a photo of a person.
I stressed over this for a long time.
I've never been able to draw people.
Even though we were told we could enlarge the picture and trace over it with tracing paper, it still stressed me out. I think it's a mental block I have. LOL.
(When I say LOL, I really am laughing here at my lap top.)
I finally decided to use one of my daughter at age 14.
Got the picture all drawn out for making the applique pattern;
and read through the lesson one more time before cutting out fabrics and such.
Why is it that this time I notice that I could have used any photo for inspiration, and that the photo of the boy was just an example? I could have saved myself a whole bunch of stress.
But, since I had this one ready to go, I went ahead and used it.
I am actually pleasantly surprized at how well it turned out.
My husband recognized our daughter and knew the specific photo, when I showed him the finished little quilt.
But I do have to say, that I am dissapointed at one thing that I hadn't thought of while planning out the pattern and fabrics for this little quilt.
A lesson learned the hard way so to speak.
That is - the shadowing of the underlaying fabrics through the lighter top layers of fabrics.
So I need to figure out now, how to avoid that in the future. I think there was a little paragraph about that in the lesson that I overlooked. I most likely thought,"Oh I won't worry about that, a little shadowing won't bother me..." I was wrong, it does bother me.
During this time, my daughter had wanted to dye her hair a really dark maroon. I actually did it for her at home using a temporary style coloring -one that washes out over time. I figured it was better than other things she might want to experiment with, and hair does grow out, and the temporary dye washes out. It wasn't a battle worth taking up, and fighting over. I do know that this attitude of mine surprized a lot of people. But once again, it wasn't something I thought was worth causing a rift in our relationship. Also, I am not a hair stylist or anything, but on doing the hair coloring with her I could have some control over the kind to use (temporary -wash out type). When I found that piece of fabric, it very much looked like her curly red hair... I was happy with that choice of fabric.
I've included the inspiration photo, as well as the photo of the little quilt.
Just one last little side note, I couldn't resist buying some silver thread and embroidering braces to complete the little quilt. Details like that really add a lot of fun. I think I was giggling the whole 10-15 minutes it took me to do the little bit of embroidery.

No comments:

Post a Comment