Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Utah

Don't really have much quilty stuff today. But I'm writting anyway. I promised myself I'd post at least once a week.

I'm over in Utah for a bit, I did bring a new applique project to work on while away from home. I found those projects travel the best while I'm on the road. And I actually sew on them. I've tried hand piecing, but I just dont have the patience for that type of work. I know I have a machine to do that type of thing quicker. The pattern I am using (yes, this one is an actual pattern and not one that I add as I go until I think it's done, like the "mouse house") is one I had purchased here in Lehi. There's a great quilt shop here called Broadbent's. I had actually heard about it on an early podcast by Annie Smith. "Annie's Quilting Stash." It was the first podcast I found about quilting. She mentioned the shop, and I was here in the area so had to look it up. It has become one of my favorite stops here in Lehi, Utah. I try to stop in there every visit I make to Utah. It's in an old store down town, and has been family owned continuously for many many years. They have fabric and things for quilting, as well as some clothing for sale and in the back there is a gift/candy shop. Fun fun fun place to stop in at.

The pattern is called "My Whimsical Quilt Garden" and it's from C & T publishing, by Becky Goldsmith and Linda Jenkins at Piece O' Cake designs. It's bright and fun, with flowers and birds.
Don't know how long it will take me to get the actual quilt done, because I purchased it to be my travel work. So I haven't been working on it at home. I want to say I purchased it last time I was here at Thanksgiving, but I'm thinking it was the trip before that.

Meanwhile, on this trip I needed to go over to Provo, to take care of some business for my daughter. She's been a student at BYU-Provo, and is currently away serving a full time mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day-saints. She had filed a leave of absence to do so from the university. Anyhow, I needed to go in and extend that leave, because she's not geting back in time to get registered (sp?), find housing, and so forth. And, I should admit that I'm glad to have her to myself for a little while before she goes back to school.
But I divert here, I wanted to mention a little store in Provo that I finally was able to find and visit. I've probably spelled it wrong, but it's called "Hindselman's." It's a yarn/gift shop. Been there since 1907 -I think was the date on the sign. Another continuously owned family shop. It is on Center street in the historic down town area. A delightful little shop with the most helpful bunch of employees. Willing to go the extra mile to help out with your projects.

I just have to share this little story, that I overheard/saw while browsing the shop. (I like to watch people) There was a young couple in there, the wife obviously pregnant. They had brought in a couple of knitted projects, a pink baby blanket and a pink baby bonnet, to get help in finishing off the ends and sewing up the hat. Darling -well made items for a beginning knitter- from what I could see. What caught my attention though, was the person getting help in the finishing, was the young husband- he was the knitter. Isn't that just the sweetest thing.

I have a tiny little doll quilt stashed away somewhere, that I've had for most all of my life. It's about 10"x14." It is falling apart, which is why I have it put away for safe keeping. I just wish I knew where it was put away at. LOL. I hadn't known until a few years ago, that it had been made by my dad and not my mom. She had made a doll for me for a Christmas present, don't know -they didn't say- if it was my first Christmas or a second, etc. but I suspect it was my first. The little quilt is a simple pattern with rectangles about 1"x2" finished. All hand sewn. I can picture my dad sewing it at night, while listening to the radio. He's not done much other sewing, other than the odd button, or patch on His or my brother's scouting uniforms. The doll is long gone but I've managed to save the little quilt. I wish I'd been more respectful of it, and had realized what a treasure it really is. I thought of that dad knitting those items for his new baby girl, and remembered my own dad's work for me. I think I'm going to end here, I've gotten a little teary eyed thinking about my dad.

I guess I was wrong about not having much quilty stuff to say.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sending me the link to your blog! I've enjoyed reading it, and love the pictures of your projects. This particular post was very sweet--I can just picture your Dad sewing away on a project for you. There was a quilt that my Mom made me that got beat up by its life on a college dorm bed, a few moves in my early married years, two babies, and eventually a dog. It finally completely disintegrated. I have the same feeling about it now--I wish I'd shown it more respect at the time. On the other hand, it was well loved--as I'm sure your doll quilt was--which is the purpose anyway! Your Dad was pleased, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete