Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt


                                                       I am so excited to share the beginning stages
                                                       of my "Farmer's Wife" Sampler Quilt.                       
                                                       I've had the book for quite awhile...
                                                       But I had been struggling to decide what type
                                                       of colors and fabrics I wanted to use.
                                                     
 I finally decided to use the reproduction 30's-on                     Feed-sack inspired prints.                                                               (there may be others included if they fit)

Because I am having issues with my computer
right now, I drafted my own patterns on graph-paper.

The first block is called Attic Windows
So I thought of what one might see out the window,
                                                 With curtains and the walls...
                                                 However - I seem to have had some serious problems
                                                      with the first block.
                                                      Problems with accuracy.
I spent some time embroidering cute little
designs -a blue bird, and some flowers...
but the block was so off that I decided
I really had to start over again.
This time I just used what I hoped would look like
A flower garden.
I'm thinking I'll use the really bad
really inaccurate blocks for something else
where the size doesn't matter.
Maybe pockets in a tote bag or something.
The second set (the bottom of the four)
turned out much better.
The bottom picture is the second block...
Called Autumn Tints
So I selected what I hoped would give
an Autumn feel.

I'm liking what I see so far.
                                                      But I'm wondering if I made the right choice
                                                      for the color/fabrics.
                                                      I may decide to do a third quilt with another
                                                      fabric/color choice. Just to see what happens.
                                                      I mean "why not?
                                                      I'm not in a hurry to get the quilt done...
                                                      I'm doing one block at a time...
                                                      It's an exercise in improving my quilting abilities
                                                      and accuracy...
                                                     
meanwhile, I have a lot of other things on the cutting board to work on... More things to Up-cycle, more things to sew, a couple of other quilts to make... My travel applique quilt I've been working on. (I really like having multiple things going on at the same time -I think I really must have a bit of Attention Deficit Disorder.
Because I don't do so well at working on one thing from start to finish without a dead-line. Ha Ha Ha. I will post as things get done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment