Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Baby quilts, and California

Lots of things going on 
the last few months...
A new grand-daughter joined 
the family...
Of course I had to make a quilt!
Finished quilt to the left.
I tried to load the photo's
in order for explanation...
Of course, they're backwards.


Why wouldn't they be?
Fourth down shows my
design sketch...
 I had found a great
microfiber piece of dark brown
at a thrift store...
I thought how perfect for
girl or boy.
My son and his partner
had opted not to find out
the gender of baby before birth.
When I found out it was a girl,
I went and picked up several pieces
of a great line of fabric...
in pinks, oranges, aqua and brown.

Then I designed a simple quilt I could add
an applique to personalize and add to.
However when I began to sew it together,
I found the designs which all looked
so great together in the store...
Were a little busy for my taste.
third picture down
So to help it out,
I added a dark frame around the applique.
second picture down.
This is how I usually work.
With a beginning design or idea...
and the freedom to allow myself to break out
of the box if I feel the need.
To help it out and tie it all together.
The center of the flower
 is the same lovely soft microfiber
used on the back of the little quilt.
The top photo is the finished product.
It was loved by the recipients.

Because the piece was found at
a thrift shop,
it really wasn't quite large enough...
So it also has a border the was pieced
from the front fabrics.
I forgot to take a photo of the back.
Typical of me...

I also finished the third square
in my traveling applique project.
(See earlier posts
for more details on the project)

I also got the 4th block ready to begin,
but as yet.
There has been no fabric cut
and no stitches taken ...
 Also during the past few months,
and probably why I've not gotten more
accomplished...
I've been on the road,

In Utah my husband and I went
over to see the new City Creek Mall
in down town Salt Lake City.
You might notice in the photo's
(this one and the next)
that there are not a lot of people around.
This is because we chose to go over
and walk around and view it on
a Sunday afternoon.
All the stores in this mall
are closed on Sunday's.
(I think some of the restaurants are open tho.)
Including Tiffany's, Michael Kors,
and Anthropologie... Yes I admit,
I'm doing a little name dropping.
The city of Salt Lake, took several block
-and closed them off to cars.
Raised the City Creek from being piped underground,
to create a waterway through the center of the mall.
There is also an awning/roof that closes
over the top of many sections during
inclement weather...
There is a fire pit at one end,
Waterfalls and fountains,
Ponds with fish, sculptures, etc.
Beautiful, a lovely place for a Sunday afternoon stroll.
I'll have to go back for a shopping day sometime.
Meanwhile,
On a quick trip back to Canada...
We found a lot of rain,
the lake was higher than we've ever seen it.
A friend said it was a fifty year high.
I think it's been amended since then to
a 100 year high.
We still saw a little beach at the
Lakeside Park in town,
but friends there shortly after we were
said the water was up on the grass in the same park.

We also went to California for a
 family reunion...
some or our activities in California,
included a trip to Columbia State Park
on July 4th.
Columbia is an old mining town
near Angels Camp where we stayed.
Right is a picture of my oldest son
and his two kids panning for gold.
They didn't find any,
but they were panning for hours.
They had fun...
Because it was the 4th,
We were treated to all kinds of sites,
The cannon was fired,
the flag was raised,
We pledged allegience,
We saw a demonstration on loading and
firing powder packed long riffles,
There was a parade as well.
We spent time wandering up the street
looking in several shops,
buying some candies, and drinks.
(Water and soda)
Great day -hot,
we were ready to hit the pool at the place
we were staying at.
Another day at the reunion,
We drove south to see Yosemite.
It's always been one of our favorite places
in California.
A little to far to go very often...
But always a treat.
Hiked in to see 2 of the many waterfalls.
(the easiest ones)
It was kind of crowded with tourists
from around the world,
and hot, very hot.
Loved it tho.
Another day we went to see the
town of Murphy's
We saw some shops,
bought some candies LOL.
Had an ice cream.
Enjoyed the company of family.

While in California we also
went to a swimming hole
near the brother in laws cabin.
Everyone who wanted to
took a dip in the river...

Others took to trying out the rope swing.
One of the nieces thought the water was Icky.
Her dad and grand-dad said it was
because of the river water,
It was natural and not full of all those
chemicals they put in the swimming pools.
She could not be convinced it was OK to get in.
Especially when she saw fish swimming around.
She was the only one having the problem 
with having live things swimming around...
The little boys were out there trying
to catch the fishies with their hands.
My grand-daughter is on the rope swing in photo.
Too much fun.

We also spent an afternoon at Calaveras Big Trees.
Another California state park.
While we do not get to Yosemite because of the distance
very often. Calaveras is closer to the family homes,
and it's also a favorite place to go when we can get to California.
I forgot to upload any pictures of the big trees. Maybe another time.

Also, you might notice that there are no pictures with the gnome,
I decided he was too hard to carry around everywhere.
I'm going to have to figure something else out.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sister Beccie: I'm over in Washington (Ritzville Branch) and an avid quilter and designer. I've enjoyed my little visit to your site...have been on my own little blog hop using the quilting blog directory and focusing, first, on the Pacific Northwest. You're very creative and are getting to visit some of my favorite places (especially Salt Lake and Temple Square). I'll be back, but meanwhile, please come by and see me? See you. Sister Kathie

    ReplyDelete