Thursday, September 24, 2020

cooking and quilting

 More cooking fun here... 

Tried another new recipe-


It was super easy, open things and dump them in the crock pot... leave it alone for several hours, then eat it. 


It was so yummy, that I forgot to take a photo of how I served it up. I dished it into bowls and served it with some buttermilk biscuits. This was a big hit here, and this one I will definitely make again. My husband has requested that i pick up some tortilla chips for use with the left overs. (It made a big pot, and there's just two of us here at this time.) 


I have also been busy busy busy with quilting. I set myself a goal to get 7 done for Christmas for my son and his new wife's blended family. I have all the tops put together, and have 3 completely quilted and bound. So I thought I would show how I have been doing the quilting here at home on my domestic machine. 

step one - I spread the backing out face down on my dining room table using clamps to keep it stretched out flat and secure- 


step two - I smoothed out the batting over the backing, smoothing it out as flat as possible. both were cut a few inches larger than the top. the back being two pieces seamed across the middle. The batting somewhat sticks to the backing as it is soothed out, so the clamps are not needed to hold it down.


step three - is to lay the top on face up, and smooth it out. I have my tools ready to start pinning it. Notice that I included the tv remotes with my tools. I put a movie on and give myself the length of the movie to get the pinning done, and I usually do get it done, if I don't get too caught up in what's going on on the television. 



Step four - I know that there's a fancy tool you can buy to help you pin baste the quilt, but I found this small screw driver also works just fine. I swiped this one out of my junk drawer in the kitchen. I don't think my husbands getting this back. It really worked well. 


step five - when I got the first half all pinned I removed the clamps, and slid the quilt over to the bottom half, and re-clamped the backing to the table, then smoothed down the batting, and then the top. Very much like steps 1, 2 and 3... then I continued pinning until the top was completely pin basted. At this point I also cut some of the excess batting and backing away. It is pin basted very well and there shouldn't be too much movement in the quilt. I find the extra backing and batting get in the way on the domestic sewing machine. So I leave only about an inch and a half around the top. 




step six - this particular quilt had a pretty good grid in it already, so I chose to us it to do the quilting. I didn't mark it at all but aimed from corner to corner and went at it. It is not perfect by any means. But it's not terrible, It's a quilt for a kid, and I expect it to be used and loved, so I didn't care if the lines were perfectly straight or not. It is mostly straight. The boys will love them. At least I hope they will.



step seven - I used my ruler and rotary cutter to square up and cut the edges preparing the quilt for the binding. Again, it's for a kid. It's not getting entered in any competition, so I didn't stress too much.


and here we are, a quilted top, waiting for binding. I think I will do a step by step on that for the next one I do. But this one is done and labeled, and waiting to be gifted for Christmas. I think my grandson will love it as much as I did making it for him. 




No comments:

Post a Comment