Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Hummingbird Haven quilt block

Several weeks ago,
I can't tell you the exact date...
I purchased the magazine;
"Quilter's 100 Blocks from Today's top designers" collector's edition vol. 2

On page 8,
there is a show and tell section...
from blocks in the vol. 1 edition of the same magazine.
I really liked the Calendar holder,
and want to make one.
My plan is to make the decorative block part interchangeable
for the seasons... maybe eventually include the holidays/ monthly?

Meanwhile,
I decided to do the challenge from the podcast
"Quilting for the Rest of Us" by Sandra Hasenauer...
It was to use things from our stash,
and be inspired by springtime.
So I chose to do the block on page 30.
Block #117 "Hummingbird Haven"
by Cathy Van Bruggen -Cathy Van Bruggen Designs.
Which I plan to use as my first decorative block on my calendar holder.
I love little touches of whimsy,
and the spiderweb and spider made me smile
when I first saw the block.
When I am doing things for myself,
they need to make me smile -or why do them.

I still need to get it quilted and the binding done.
I still need to make the calendar holder.
But I did finish the applique block-
I changed a few things on mine from the original.
Didn't do as many details in the embroidery work...
and I chose to go with a blue hummingbird rather than a green one.
Overall, I'm pleased with the finished block...
(Picture included to the left...)
The background was leftover from the "Mouse House" background,
The appligue pieces all came from my scrap box...
I have left over batting from another quilt project,
that I'd saved for these type of smaller projects.
Now,
I need to go through my stash
and find a piece for the backing...
and something to make the calendar holder.
(My goal for this coming week.)

This week,
I've also heard from my daughter
who is serving a mission for the LDS Church
in St. Louis, Missouri.
She's decided she needs to make quilts
for a couple of the people she's become friends with there.
Which means a bunch of my time in assistance,
and... I'm happy to help her out.
She knows how to sew,
she has her own machine...
But she always gets discouraged when things get difficult
and wants me to finish off what she started.
I don't mind helping her out...
I don't know when she'll quit asking me
so I'll help out as long as she'll let me.
She's always had a giving heart,
and loves to do things for others.
I am pleased to encourage this nature.

Till later.

No comments:

Post a Comment