Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Utah trip

Well, in my last blog, I'd said I was on the road again... In Utah to be precise. Since I didn't have much new to write about, I thought I'd talk about our trip into Salt Lake City on Sunday the 27th. My husband and I decided to go in and see the Church History Museum there across from Temple Square in SLC. The Church keeps these types of places open on Sunday's... They consider it to be a type of missionary work. In the museum there was a quilt exhibit.
(I did have permission to take some photo's)

Silly things didn't load up here in the order I'd intended.

They're actually backwards. But oh well.

I'll describe the quilts in the order they are now.


I thought I'd share two of the quilts I found very interesting.

The first one here and the close up

was actually made in an insane assylum.

The doctor thought it would give the patients something to occupy their minds and their time.

The little diamond shapes are only about two inches long and about 1 inch wide. Very small.











The second one and the close up,

is a single large piece of fabric, with clothing labels arranged and sewn down on it.

I thought it was very cool.

An interesting recycling project.


Not only labels from the clothing lines, but also labels including the sizes like Med.

and I think also the care and content of the fabric used in construction.


I don't know where they got the long roll of labeling stuff, but one of the borders is uncut

labels from a clothing line also.


I thought they were both interesting quilts.

I thought the ideas behind them were inovative and fun.

The one from the assylum,

(where I think I belong sometimes)

and the ultimate recycling quilt.

There were many others,

but I thought these were the most unusual.


This coming week,

when I have time...

I plan to finish the calandar wall hanging,

and hopefully I can share that next time.

I have the wall hanging part done.

I need to finish the decorative panel,

and figure out how I'm going to attach it.

I'm thinking buttons on the wall hanging part

with ribons along the top of the decorative block

to fasten it to the buttons.


I also need to finish the quilt from the

mystery quilt day I was able to attend a few weeks ago.

We'll see what the week brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment